Sunday, July 26, 2009
We made it back from our tin can misadventure; and, yes, I still hate camping. But, I have to admit that after seeing my girls have such a phenomenal time, I will definitely suck it up and go again sometime (not anytime soon, mind you, just sometime!).
Here are some survival tips I learned along the way:
1. Do not sign your kid up to play on a thrown together softball team at the end of softball season. Also, do not agree to play in an ASA tournament against select teams that have played together for two or three years now. NOT. PRETTY.
2. Do teach your kid that learning to lose gracefully is just as important as learning to win (maybe even more so).
I realize that neither of the first two have anything to do with camping. However, that part of the trip might have actually been WORSE than the camping!!
3. If you are going to above said softball tournament (which you are not, because you have learned your lesson!) and you are staying in a tin can at a campground on the pristine Lake Waco, BRING A CAP. Good hair days are not in your future!
4. If you hate camping but you go for the sake of your family, do not make snide comments like "reason number one trillion and ninety seven why camping sucks." Just think them to yourself!
5. Always always always bring a good book. You can completely forget how hot, sweaty, and smelly you are when you are absorbed in an awesome book.
6. Do not read said book too quickly. You will then be forced to remember how hot, sweaty, and smelly you are!
7. Wake up early and drink coffee outside (this practice can also be beneficial at home!!).
8. Enjoy the late night giggles coming from the opposite end of the tin can!
9. Try to see camping through the eyes of your children (I'm pretty sure this is the only way to actually enjoy it!)
10. Remind yourself that there are people who live in far worse conditions every single day. Especially remind yourself of this when you find yourself in the shower surrounded by crickets and spiders!
Most of all, don't forget to thank your Creator for the breathtaking beauty of a sunset!