Monday, February 14, 2011

A Love Story


I still remember the day I decided that Wes was nothing like the other guys who had pursued relationships with me (or those whom I had pursued). I was at home after being ordered to leave work because of a fever (they frown upon communicative diseases on the cardiac rehab floor!) when someone rang my doorbell.


My roommate opened the door to find Wes standing there with grocery sacks in hand. He had thought of everything: chicken soup, fruit, sprite, popsicles...everything that might make a fever running female feel a little better!


To top it off, he had called his doctor and set up an appointment knowing I was new to town and probably hadn’t really bothered figuring out where I might go if I became ill! (Unfortunately for him, I’m still THAT girl! I don’t like to get bogged down in the minutia!)


It was all very sweet.


Fast forward 15+ years and he is still that guy. He brings me flowers. He massages my back. He makes me coffee. He keeps my van running and filled with gas. He chops firewood, lights fires, gets groceries, fills happy hour orders, and yes he even still schedules my doctors appointments when I’m feeling under the weather.


Long after my looks have faded and the rock hard abs have diminished to...well, let’s just say they have diminished...he is still showing up at my front door every single day meeting not only my needs, but the needs of everyone he can.


Don’t get me wrong. Our relationship has been as rocky as any. But every struggle, every fight, every time we have thought that there was no way we could continue, God’s grace has spilled out abundantly. Most of the time, we didn’t even notice.


By His grace we have stuck it out, and I am so very grateful.


Happy Valentine’s Day, Wesley. Thanks for all you do to make my life better!


I love you more than ever.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the intrusion, I'm running a contest for 100€ and I would love that you participated.

    Check it out at: www.eurodc.co.cc

    ReplyDelete