Saturday, August 05, 2006

I've been pondering this not so deep thought for quite some time now. Why is it that when we feel we've grown spiritually, we suddenly notice the lack of spirituallity in others. Like when we go on a diet for two minutes and suddenly become increasingly aware of all the fat people we're surrounded by.
Have you ever heard this, or worse yet, have you ever said this: "I didn't get anything out of the worship service today?" Isn't the point of a worship service to GIVE something? Your worship to your creator...your gift (as worthless as it is) to your God...however you do that.
The very minute we concern ourselves with what we're getting from our worship, we have suddenly made our worship about us...we're worshipping ourselves!!
How phariseical of us.
Jesus seemed so much more annoyed by the self-righteous than by the sinners. We have become the new generation of Pharisees. We waltz around in our "righteous robes" to prove to others our spirituality, all the while our hearts are far from God.
I don't want to be a Pharisee. I want to be an authentic worshiper. I'm not sure that I have that capability, but I certainly am tired of playing reindeer games.

1 comment:

  1. Preach it sister.
    If we spent half as much time worrying about what we GIVE in worship instead of what we GET in worship we'd be actually worshiping. I'm so happy you have joined the blogging revolution, I'm gonna link to you on mine!

    ReplyDelete