Thursday, September 23, 2010

Vacation Conversation

The "birds and the bees" discussion has always been dicey waters through which most parents dog paddle their way around, unsure of when, where, and how to have the conversation. If you speak too soon, your precious one is on the kindergarten playground embellishing his version of this biological phenomenon to 21 of his closest friends. Yet, if you wait too late, your child hears about it from a classmate who typically gets the details confused or uses lingo that would make Howard Stern blush.

Okay, so that's probably a slight exaggeration because I'm pretty sure there is no sexual lingo that would cause Howard to blush, but you know what I'm saying!

Luckily, I have an older, wiser sister who had swam through those waters several times now who advised me early on that there really is no particular age at which it is best to have "the talk," but rather, each child must be evaluated on an individual basis to decide when they are ready. Most of the time, you will know when they are ready.

Which brings me to the conversation I happened upon while we were on vacation. I walked into the room where my three precious daughters were discussing having babies!

JP: EWWW, Abbee, that is NOT where babies come out! Tell mom what you just told me.

Abbee: (giggling incessantly) What? I just said I think it's gross that babies and poop come out of the same hole!

Me: Abbee, babies and poop do NOT come out of the same hole!

Abbee: They don't?

Me: No, but we will talk about it later when we are alone.

Abbee: (screams) NOOOOOO! I DON'T WANNA KNOW!! You can tell me when I'm pregnant!

It goes with out saying that it's time for Abbee and I to have the talk!!

3 comments:

  1. i just love that child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...she's a hoot! so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:55 PM

    I just had a seriously good laugh!!! Gotta love that Abbee girl!

    shan

    ReplyDelete