Monday, January 03, 2011

Uncomfortable Grace

I heard this quote in a sermon a couple of weeks ago:


"God will take you where you hadn’t intended to go in order to produce in you what you couldn’t achieve on your own."

-Paul David Tripp


As I reflect back upon 2010, I would certainly say that I have found this to be true. In fact, for the last three years, God has continually (and not always so gently) pushed me out of my comfort zone, at times shaking the very foundation of my faith.


In doing so, He has opened my eyes to my constant need of His grace.


Tripp refers to this kind of grace as "uncomfortable grace."


It's the grace you get as you watch your dad die. It's the grace you get when you pull your children out of public school against their will. And, it's the kind of grace you get when you leave your church home of over 12 years.


But this kind of grace isn't only for the big defining moments. It's the kind of grace you get when you've yelled at your children. It's the grace you get when you speak without thinking and immediately wish you hadn't. It's the kind of grace that keeps reminding you of your sin, over and over and over. And, it IS indeed uncomfortable.


Yet, how amazing is it that despite my complete and utter wretchedness, God is gracious? He loves me enough to make me uncomfortable. In fact, he loves me too much to have it any other way.

Romans 5:20

Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Although 2010 was a year full of change, struggle, and uncomfortable grace, His grace has been sufficient. As I look forward with anticipation to what 2011 would hold, I am bracing for more of His grace. And, while I don't know in what form this grace will come, I am certain that His grace, even if it is uncomfortable, will be enough.


2 Corinthians 12:9

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

P.S. If you are interested, you can listen to the sermon here.




1 comment:

  1. Crazy...I just listened to this sermon today!! Coincedence?? I think not! Good stuff for sure.

    ReplyDelete